Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Celerra/ndmp incrs running as fulls

2009-04-21 14:37:30
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Celerra/ndmp incrs running as fulls
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 18:34:10 +0000
On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 12:26:35PM -0400, Stafford, Geoff wrote:
> Can someone give me a quick overview of how the determination is made
> of what files need to be backed up in an ndmp incremental?  It doesn't
> appear to be archive bit based....is it last modified, is there a
> change journal on the filer?

Can't tell you specifically what the Celerra does, but since this is
NDMP, it must be calculated on the NDMP host itself.  There is no
communication on a file-by-file basis with the Netbackup master about
what to back up.

On other NDMP hosts I've worked with (Netapp and Isilon), it's possible
to dump out the entire NDMP connection information (all the variables).
That would be pretty definitive about what is being sent.  EMC support
should then be able to tell you why all the files are being sent in
response to that backup request.

--
Darren