Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Mixing POlicy Types in a Volume Pool

2009-04-20 11:58:16
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Mixing POlicy Types in a Volume Pool
From: Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 10:54:49 -0500

There is no reason, technically speaking that is, for separate volume pools. All the data can live together on the same tapes without any issues. Unix (Standard) data does not have to be segragated from Windows data, etc. The old admin is incorrect in his thinking about restores. The only time you'll have a problem with restores is if the media is in use (by another backup or another restore) or it's offsite (or damaged, God forbid).

It actually sounds like all you need is one volume pool as NetBackup will separate different retention levels onto different tapes by default. Note I said by default. If you have enabled the "Mix Retentions" options (and I really hope it is not enabled), then NBU will put everything together.

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

stu52 <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

04/20/2009 02:02 AM
Please respond to
VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU

VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
cc
Subject
[Veritas-bu]  Mixing POlicy Types in a Volume Pool

I have an interesting situation.  I am coming into a NBU 6.5.3 environment where the current backup admin has several volume pools.  For example, he has set up the following:

- Exchange-Full
- Exchange-Diff
- Sharepoint-Full
- Sharepoint-Diff
- Oracle-Full
- Oracle-Diff

I would like to just narrow this down to two volume pools:
- Full
- Diff

The reason for the Full & the Diff volume pools is to have the data segregated by data retention.

His reason for not doing this is that he claims that if the volume pools are not segregated by Policy Type, the restores will not work properly even though the backup was successful.

Has anyone had any issues with not being able to do a successful restore when mixing policy types within a volume pool?

thanks.