Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Mixing Policy Types in a Volume Pool

2009-04-20 10:33:54
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Mixing Policy Types in a Volume Pool
From: <judy_hinchcliffe AT administaff DOT com>
To: <simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net>, <netbackup AT whelan-consulting.co DOT uk>, <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 09:30:26 -0500

I am down to 4 volume pools.

1 for catalog

1 Databases ( just so the multiplex is less so restores are faster)

1 for LOOOOONG retention

1 for everything else

I do not mix retentions on the same tapes, and tapes are removed from the library everyday and sent offsite.

I mix my windows, unix, and exchange all on the same tapes.  This allows me to use a tape Fully, and reduce the number of tapes needed.

If we did accounting where each department needed to pay for tapes then many tapes might work.  But with tapes holding so much data now, I would never be able to Fill and tape and would be using many more then I am now.