Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Media server choices

2009-04-07 09:13:07
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Media server choices
From: ckstehman AT pepco DOT com
To: "David McMullin" <David.McMullin AT CBC-Companies DOT com>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 09:08:28 -0400

Hi

Since media servers have some pretty high powered  network connections, I would recommend a standard hardware Windows server
as a media server.  It is easier to team the NICs.  You want this system to stream data as fast as possible

----------------------------------
Carl Stehman
Distributed Services
Pepcoholdings, Inc.
701 Ninth St NW
Washington DC 20068
202-331-6619
------------------------------------

"David McMullin" <David.McMullin AT CBC-Companies DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

04/06/2009 05:17 PM

"veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
cc
Subject
[Veritas-bu] Media server choices

We have Solaris 10 master at 6.5.3.1, 3 Solaris 10 media servers at 6.5.3.1, our windows group wants to set up some VMWare.
We have a choice of combining the Windows media server with the VMWare or making it separate Unix or Windows - any thoughts?

My thought was that the windows media server should "play nicely" with the existing unix servers, and it might be better to have windows connections to backup the VMWare - is this a false assumption?

David McMullin

This Email message and any attachment may contain information that is proprietary, legally privileged, confidential and/or subject to copyright belonging to Pepco Holdings, Inc. or its affiliates ("PHI"). This Email is intended solely for the use of the person(s) to which it is addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this Email to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this Email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and permanently delete this Email and any copies. PHI policies expressly prohibit employees from making defamatory or offensive statements and infringing any copyright or any other legal right by Email communication. PHI will not accept any liability in respect of such communications.