Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Media server choices

2009-04-06 19:28:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Media server choices
From: Crowey <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 19:24:56 -0400

David McMullin wrote:
> We have Solaris 10 master at 6.5.3.1, 3 Solaris 10 media servers at 6.5.3.1,
> our windows group wants to set up some VMWare.
> We have a choice of combining the Windows media server with the VMWare or
> making it separate Unix or Windows - any thoughts?
>
> My thought was that the windows media server should "play nicely" with the
> existing unix servers, and it might be better to have windows connections to
> backup the VMWare - is this a false assumption?
>

> David McMullin

If you want to use VMware's VCB backups you will have to have a Windows server.

Where I am we have virtualised 95% of our server infrastructure (which is small
mind - only about 25 virtualised servers on 3 VI3.5 U3 hosts running in a Sun
B8000 blade chassis), and we use NetBackup 6.0MP4 on a standalone server
running RHEL 4 (64bit) and use a combination of netbackup clients to backup VI
hosts and its guests and vmbk to do weekly 'snapshot' backups of the guests too.

And it all works just fine.