Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] netapp NDMP and snapshot backup question

2009-03-31 13:03:18
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] netapp NDMP and snapshot backup question
From: Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com
To: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 11:59:59 -0500

Wildcards aren't supported, so that method is out. I'm actually trying to find a way to backup a 6TB qtree and would *REALLY* like to use wildcards to break it up, but not gonna happen.
I thought about creating a script, much like Darren mentioned, but I'd really rather keep it as simple as possible.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

03/31/2009 11:05 AM

veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
cc
Subject

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 12:08:31PM +0000, mark wragge wrote:
> Hi, I am successfully using NDMP to backup a netapp filer using netbackup 6.5mp3. I have some questions areound the capability of the backups.
> ?
> I can backup the whole volume by specifying the File List of /vol/vol1 (this creates a snapshot on the filer and skips backup of all existing snapshots).
> I can backup one previosuly created snapshot such as /vol/vol1/.snapshot/hourly.0 ( this performs a point in time backup using the specified existing snpashot)

> (1) Is it possible to instruct netbackup to backup all snapshots that
     exist in the ./snapshot folder? (I could not get this to work)

Not that I'm aware of.  There appear to be two ways this could occur.
The NDMP host could dump all of them, or NBU could find them back them
up separately.

I don't see any way for the first to happen.  'dump' seems to work on
only one filesystem, and each of the snapshots act like independent
filesystems.  So you can't get it in a single restorable bunch.

The second also seems to not work.  I don't know any way to get NBU to
query the NDMP host and back up everything.

> (2) Is it possible to use wild cards to backup certain snapshots in the ./snapshot folder (such as ./snapshot/*snap_lun0*

Nope.  Again, independent filesystems.  Because the NDMP server is just
passing this on to the Netapp dump, you can try this...

netapp> dump 0f null /vol/yourvol/.snapshot/*snap_lun0*

filer> dump 0f null /vol/vol0/.snapshot/*hourly*
DUMP: cannot open /vol/vol0/.snapshot/*hourly*.
DUMP: Dump failed to initialize.
DUMP: DUMP IS ABORTED

That could match multiple filesystems, and dump can't handle multiple
filesystems.

> The reason I would like to do this is that i am using SnapManager for
> VI to create my snapshots that exsit on the Filer. Therefore the
> naming convention changes for every snapshot. I need a way to specify
> a backup of exsiting snapshots when the snapshot names change for
> every snapshot - but the names do have a common factor such as
> 'storage_lun1' or 'every 4 hours'

Query the netapp for the list of snapshots.  Then put any matching
snapshots into your policy.

ssh <filer> snap list <volume> (or use snmpwalk on slVEntries)
bpplinclude <policy> [ -add | -delete | -modify ] <path...>

--
Darren