Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] question on client names

2009-03-16 16:07:24
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] question on client names
From: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>, "Stafford, Geoff" <GStafford AT barclaycardus DOT com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 15:29:38 -0400

Resolving search lists doesn’t mean they have to be configured correctly “everywhere”.  Just for the server and the client involved in the current problem.   That is to say while it needs to be configured “everywhere” to make each client work when their turn comes in the schedule it is a red herring to suggest that you need to concern yourself with that “everywhere” when troubleshooting a specific issue.  If there’s been an “everywhere” change it will become apparent due to the fact that most of the clients will fail.  That kind of global failure due to bad planning can occur regardless of which method you use.  (e.g. What happens if all your FQDNs are suddently invalid due to a domain name change?)

In a related point:  If you use short names and search lists then you don’t have to go edit all your policies with new domain names if they change (and on occasion they do especially in mergers/acquisitions).  You just have to edit the resolv.conf on each of the servers and clients.  That can be easily scripted (as in fact it was here recently when we swapped out decommissioned named servers for new ones).

In the very few cases where I’ve thought difference between searched name and FQDN might be a problem I’ve addressed it by adding entry to master/media server hosts file and the specific client.