Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] how to increase netbackup performance

2009-03-14 14:16:32
Subject: [Veritas-bu] how to increase netbackup performance
From: Dennis Peacock <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 11:35:09 -0400
If you need to speed up a backup across the network?
NOTE: This is between the MEDIA SERVER and the BACKUP CLIENT:

2 files should be manually created in /usr/openv/netbackup (Unix).
/usr/openv/netbackup/NET_BUFFER_SZ
/usr/openv/netbackup/NET_BUFFER_SZ_REST

Here is what each of those files should contain?.and nothing more.

NET_BUFFER_SZ ?----- 263168
NET_BUFFER_SZ_REST ? 132096

This can be in particularly helpful with RMAN backups across the network.

The files and setting MUST exist on the CLIENT side as well as the MEDIA SERVER
side.

The above numbers are specific for TAPE and not ?disk? or ?vtl?.

The numbers may have to be tweaked a bit, but be careful in tweaking the
?NET_BUFFER_SZ? setting as if you saturate the network pipe with a backup? The
server can look like it?s ?down? and may not respond to pings due to network
traffic saturation.

These settings and numbers are directly out of the Netbackup Performance Tuning
manual.
This is right out of the tuning docs with my own wording.  [Wink]