Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Strange problem after changing storage unit.

2009-03-05 08:56:54
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Strange problem after changing storage unit.
From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
To: Dave Markham <dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 08:44:12 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, Dave Markham wrote:

> Netbackup 5.0MP7 running on Solaris with SL24
>
> Guys i got a bit of weird issue i wondered if anyone could shed some
> light on.
>
> A customer is changing from an L1000 to an SL24, but wants to have the
> L1000 configured also for historic restores until they expire.
>
> In a test bed on same server hardware (e220r) i have built a fresh OS
> using Sol9 09/05 (needed mpt driver for new Ultra320 HBA installed),
> cabled up the SL24 with 2 x LTO3 drives in it.
>
> - I installed NBU and patched to MP7 as the existing install is.
> - Then got the catalogues over  and did a bprecover -r -dpath <path to cats>
> - This recovered everything including the old L1000 storage unit.
> - I removed the robot and drives using tpconfig, vmadm.
> - I then configured the new SL24 unit and did an inventory on which
> brought in the new LTO3 tapes and put them as scratch (as by barcode
> rules said to do).
> - I can see all my old media in volume group ---  and all my new media
> in 00_000_TLD
> - I have left the L1000 storage unit configured in NBU as i want to
> connect it later, where i will add using correct path etc.
> - I have changed policies to use the SL24 storage unit
>
> Now the problem is when i try and run a backup it is failing with status
> 96 no media available. I can't understand why as i have new media in
> which is scratch.
>
> Anyone any ideas? Do i need to remove the L1000 storage unit completely?
> Is something hidden somewhere i need to change?
>
> Cheers

1. So you took the tapes from the L1000 and put them into an SL24?
2. I am assuming the media servers did not change?
3. Did the drve tapes stay the same?
4. Did you inventory the library and make sure the media is scratch?
5. Is the barcode reader in the new robot inventorying the tapes the same
    way as the old one?

--

Wait, I know, at least in NetBackup 5.1x, you've hit the catalog restore bug!
The bug is this: After you recover the catalog it de-activates your scratch

Right click the Scratch volume pool, and select [x] Enable/Scratch Pool!

This got me a few times as well :)

Justin.