Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] SQL issue

2009-02-23 13:38:32
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] SQL issue
From: "David McMullin" <David.McMullin AT CBC-Companies DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:10:31 -0500
Nope - that resolves the issue #1, why it had the problem.

Issue #2 is more of an FYI - since Veritas MSSQL agent passes control to a
script, that script can leave the parent job high and dry - in this case when
it attempted to do an incremental backup of a database it did not have a full
backup of.

Instead of the parent job ending with an error code - it never ended, AND also
prevented any additional jobs from running. Since these run every hour that
means that I lost several hours of logs for point in time restores. In this
case I got the logs from 1000 then nothing until after the midnight full backup
ran.

My operators now know to look for log running jobs of this policy, but it would
be nicer if SQL and NetBackup worked better together.

David McMullin