Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] jnbSA/bplist issue

2009-02-19 14:22:01
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] jnbSA/bplist issue
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: Karl Rossing <karlr AT barobinson DOT com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 13:10:52 -0600
On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Karl Rossing <karlr AT barobinson DOT com> wrote:
Netbackup 6.5.1 Master running on Solaris 10.
Netbackup 6.5.1 also running on Solaris 10.

The client policy is to only do a daily differential will a 3 month
retention.

My assumption is that once the data expires, Netbackup will redo the
diff and catch up.

I'm only seeing two weeks of data in jnbSA/bplist and as such I'm
missing data to restore.

When are your fulls and with what retentions?

> My assumption is that once the data expires, Netbackup will redo the diff and catch up.

Not really.  The differential is done based on the time of the last full or incremental.  If you don't have all of your fulls going back 3 months, the diffinc doesn't do you any good since you don't have a base to apply against.  NetBackup doesn't "catch up" - it knows when the last backup was and doesn't care if it's expired because it never checks.
    .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org