Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Native Linux support of LTO drives

2009-02-18 10:34:38
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Native Linux support of LTO drives
From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
To: "Donaldson, Mark" <Mark.Donaldson AT Staples DOT com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 09:51:30 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009, Donaldson, Mark wrote:

> They work fine & fast on our one Linux media server, RHEL 5.  Actually
> one of my fastest media servers.
>
> An earlier posting, though, I was searching for why we have a drive go
> down and then, after I up it, have it go quickly down again.  I have to
> reboot the server to clear down drives about every other week.
>
> I'm still not sure why that is but since the driver question came up at
> the other site, I thought I'd see what the community is doing.
>
> All my reading before this suggest that full Ultrium support existed in
> Linux these days.  Just wanted a second opinion.

An earlier posting, though, I was searching for why we have a drive go
down and then, after I up it, have it go quickly down again.  I have to
reboot the server to clear down drives about every other week.

1. Have you checked the FSC error codes?
2. Have you checked /usr/openv/netbackup/db/error?
3. When that happens for us:
    a. Tape drive, check to make sure it is OK.
    b. Fiber cable.
    c. Fiber card (not using a SAN fabric).
    d. Backplane for tape drive for robot.
    e. Replace drive usually resolves the problem.

Justin.