Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup Policy - Responsibility for adding client into NBU

2009-02-17 11:30:08
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup Policy - Responsibility for adding client into NBU
From: James Osbourn <jo4 AT sanger.ac DOT uk>
To: "WEAVER, Simon \(external\)" <simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 16:14:14 +0000
Simon,

In my previous job we had a coverage report script that ran.  If I
remember correctly it used DNS config files to get a list of machines on
the network ( we were not using dynamic addressing ) and it used
netbackup check_coverage script in the bin/goodies directory to list
client and compared the two lists.  We had a seperate config file which
we could set up exception.  The config was basically a list of regular
expressions.  For example we did not want to backup ethernet switches or
routers or printers etc and these could all be added to the list of
machines to ignore.

The script ran once a week and reported and differences.

James

WEAVER, Simon (external) wrote:
> All
> A general chit -chat question really. I discovered a project where it
> holds 500mb Data and was NOT backed up !
>
> The only reason this came to light was due to a problem on the Server,
> when the NBU Admin realised it had not been backed up (but should have
> been).
>
> Looking at the history, it was backed up, but somehow its been removed
> from a Policy. Luckily, the fault was rectified and all data was
> recovered intact.
>
> Question is this - who is responsible for ensuring any new Servers get
> backed up into your Backup Environment? Sometimes I think its easy to
> blame the NBU admin, but how do they know what should or should not be
> backed up.
>
> Does anyone have any process or routine in place or regular checks with
> their System Admins to make sure the backup client lists have not
> changed or need new servers backed up?
>
> /Regards/
>
> /Simon
> /
>
> This email (including any attachments) may contain confidential
> and/or privileged information or information otherwise protected
> from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please
> notify the sender immediately, do not copy this message or any
> attachments and do not use it for any purpose or disclose its
> content to any person, but delete this message and any attachments
> from your system. Astrium disclaims any and all liability if this
> email transmission was virus corrupted, altered or falsified.
> -o-
> Astrium Limited, Registered in England and Wales No. 2449259
> Registered Office:
> Gunnels Wood Road, Stevenage, Hertfordshire, SG1 2AS, England

Systems Administrator
Backups & Storage Team
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus