Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] how to specifying what to backup

2009-02-11 10:43:13
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] how to specifying what to backup
From: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: "James Osbourn" <jo4 AT sanger.ac DOT uk>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 10:26:24 -0500
Here we don't concern ourselves with the number of policies.  We try to
make the names as consistent as possible to insure what we're backing
up.

We'll backup the operating system on every system and name policy for
each as hostname-OS.   The exclude lists for those policies would
generally have all the directories that we would consider "application"
supported by other teams as opposed to operating system supported by us.
(e.g. on UNIX we might include /opt in the OS backup but exclude
something like /opt/oracle).
For "environments" we'll typically have a policy for the host and the
environment (if we back it up at all - e.g. We might have server1-ENV-DB
on the database server and server1-ENV-APP on the application tier
server(s) where ENV is what we named the environment such as DEV, TEST,
TRNG, PROD etc...).

By using consistent naming like the above we can scroll through the list
of policies quickly to determine the backup appropriate to what we need
see.  Also as hinted at above there are some environments (mostly
Development) that we don't backup at all because it they are "refreshed"
from PROD so in the event of failure it is just as fast to do a new
"refresh" as it would be to restore what is likely an old copy of PROD
anyway.