Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] question on key manager for IBM lto-4 tape drives and Netbackup

2009-02-09 09:38:10
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] question on key manager for IBM lto-4 tape drives and Netbackup
From: Travis Kelley <rhatguy AT gmail DOT com>
To: Len Boyle <Len.Boyle AT sas DOT com>, "Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 09:11:48 -0500
I've used the netbackup KMS and it does work fine, although its sort
of a kluge right now in my opinion.  Currently you are limited to 2
keychains and you must use media from a policy whose name begins with
a prefix of ENCR_ (for instance ENCR_Offsite).  I've talked with our
account rep and they state that they "anticipate" to raise the number
of keys that can be managed in NB.7.  They also anticipate it to
become a chargable item after the expansion but haven't worked out the
details yet.

It seems like functionality that still needs a good bit of work and
will probably get it in the future but is now more of a POC.  On the
plus side...its currently free and works fine in my experience, so its
great to try out if you already have the LTO4 drives.

On 2/8/09, Len Boyle <Len.Boyle AT sas DOT com> wrote:
> Good Day,
>
> We have a few IBM LTO-4 tape drives for which,  we would like to start using
> the build in encryption support with Netbackup 6.5.3
>

> Early reading seems to indicate that there are at least two key managers to
> choose from.
>
> The first is IBM's EKM java key manager.
>
> The second is Netbackup's KMS, which came out as part  Netbackup 6.5.2 .
>
> Does anyone have experience with these two products that they can share.
> Experiences  both good and bad.
>
> Thanks len

Sent from my mobile device