Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Clearing DSSU's.

2009-02-04 17:25:24
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Clearing DSSU's.
From: Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com
To: Tim Hoke <thoke AT northpeak DOT org>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 16:07:14 -0600

A little late on this one, but I would also recommend making a copy of what images exist on disk before you expire them and save it. This way, if you do end up expiring an image with no copy, you at least know which one it is and can be prepared if a restore request comes your way. In short, always do your homework. Also, if you script this, make DANG sure that you test your script thorougly before running it on all of your images.This also helps to stave off any occurrences of Mr. Murphy and his laws.

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

Tim Hoke <thoke AT northpeak DOT org>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

01/26/2009 04:35 PM

Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
cc
Matthew Stier <Matthew.Stier AT us.fujitsu DOT com>, veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Subject
Re: [Veritas-bu] Clearing DSSU's.

Here's the general process I think I would follow.

First, stop directing any backups to DSSU until your "maintenance" is done.
Run bpimmedia to see which images are on your dssu (bpimmedia -disk_stu <stu label>
For each of those images, run bpimagelist to see how many copies there are (bpimagelist -backupid <BID>)
For those images which don't have a copy on tape, duplicate it (kick off your de-stage job)
For those images that do have multiple copies, expire the dssu copy (bpexpdate -backupid <BID> -d 0 -copy <#>)
Repeat those steps until you're sure you have all your data protected.

The bottom line though is to make sure that before you go deleting (expiring) anything, you've got the data protected.  You don't want to accidentally erase an image that is ONLY on disk.

-Tim