Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Getting Netbackup 6.5.x job information

2009-02-01 13:37:54
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Getting Netbackup 6.5.x job information
From: "bob944" <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 13:21:41 -0500
> argos2-cls:/#vxlogview -X "jobid=9109"V-1-1-12 There are no
> records to be displayed.argos2-cls:/#
>
> What does that means ?
> What else can I do to obtain information for such job?
> How to obtain "activity monitor" as well as verbose activity
> info via command line ?

Read the man pages (in the Veritas NetBackup Commands manual) for
bperror and bpdbjobs; they are the workhorses of "what happened" from an
admin-console sort of view.  Consult the NetBackup Troubleshooting Guide
for troubleshooting guidance and a lot of information about reports and
logs.

The "normal" logs are in per-process directories that you create under
~/netbackup/logs and are usually examined with an editor or text tools.

vxlogview was added in NetBackup 6 to process a new log format for all
the new processes that didn't exist in NetBackup before (the "unified
logs").  It's a clever way to make you study the manuals to craft a
horribly inconsistent, unintuitive command line, the output of which, if
ever you get all the options right, will not answer whatever question
you had in mind.