Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Speaking of tape libraries.. SL8500 vs. SCI2K

2009-01-28 14:36:29
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Speaking of tape libraries.. SL8500 vs. SCI2K
From: Steve Frewin <stephen.frewin AT gmail DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 14:13:44 -0500
We use the Scalar i2000 at two different locations configured with
LTO-II drives. While I cannot compare it to the SL8500. The library has
been reliable and when presented with data streams equal to the spec'd
tape drive throughput  it has had little or no overhead when writing to
tape. Many of the components are hot swappable and redundant, allowing
the library to remain online  even when changing  components. The drive
sleds provide and easy means to upgrade to later generations of LTO or
to change tape technology completely (tape slots can be reconfigured. We
very seldom use the touch screen, but do make extensive use of the web
interface for amongst other things its reporting capabilities. The
Scalar i2000 was a good fit for our locations as the footprint is the
same as a standard server rack.