Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Making Expired Netbackup Tapes Unreadable

2009-01-16 12:29:53
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Making Expired Netbackup Tapes Unreadable
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 12:20:17 -0500
Your email address ends with a company that's in the hot seat right now
so personally if I were in your shoes I wouldn't do anything until a
lawyer told you to.  Destruction of evidence is punishable by prison.
Not nice white collar prison either, but pound you in the ass prison.
(I hope somebody got that.)

Anyhow, every legal hold I've ever responded to (with one exception) was
worded to the effect that we were to produce all documents / data /
emails that we have records of for a certain time frame.  I've been
advised this means backups that are in the catalog the day the hold is
ordered.  In only one case were we ordered to produce every scrap of
data that might have ever been, and in that case I had to import some
500+ media.

Long story short - get specific directions from legal and don't create
any new procedures (especially ones that destroy data) in response to
this hold.  Worst case scenario you would rather tell the judge the data
expired on time and was recycled as normal rather than, well we didn't
know if we should or should not have provided XYZ data so we implemented
this new procedure to destroy it.

Good luck!

-Jonathan