Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] 6.5.1 windows Flash backup restore

2009-01-08 10:37:45
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] 6.5.1 windows Flash backup restore
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Clooney, David" <david.clooney AT bankofamerica DOT com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 09:22:24 -0600
On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 8:23 AM, Clooney, David <david.clooney AT bankofamerica DOT com> wrote:

NBU 6.5.1   Master Solaris 10
NBU 6.5.1 windows 2003 Media

We have process whereas we split an HDS shadow image pair and mount the
secondary volume onto the root of c: on one of our NBU windows media
servers, then take a backup.

i.e. once the process has completed the volume is C:\$voulme

I have setup a flashbackup windows policy with \\.\C:\$volume as the
criteria to backup.

The backup works fine and sails through, and individual file restores
complete successfully too however if I attempt to restore the whole
volume from the backup the restore job just stays in a queued state with
no indication as to whether there is some background processing going
on.

You should be careful here.  If you're doing a full volume restore, don't specify a directory tree, especially if you have a *lot* of files (millions).  If you do a full volume restore pretending it's a file-based restore, you'll need to map the file list for the volume.  We've seen cases where this simply craps out due to memory constraints.

Do a volume-based restore, although the destination volume has to be the exact size as the original source volume.  i.e. don't restore /C/ but restore \\.C\:
    .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org