Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU 6.5.3 Windows Java GUI for the Admin Console

2009-01-06 19:02:02
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU 6.5.3 Windows Java GUI for the Admin Console
From: "bob944" <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 18:49:50 -0500
Mr Major said:
> Bob, I have to disagree with you, for once.

It's okay; I'm not invested in it.  :-)  And thanks for the implied kudo.

> You can only use the java version with that same major revision;
  and
> The java client is forward and backwards compatible within the same major
> revision - for the most part, there are things that may not work/populate if
> the
> Master is at a higher level than the Java client.

I'm fine with that.  That "in my experience it seems backwards-compatible
within all levels of 5.1, within all levels of 5.0, within all levels of 6.5"
is what I at least _meant_ to convey with

> > IME, all patch/MP versions are backwards compatible within
> > that major version (5.1, 6.0, 6.5).

> it is not backwards compatible to other revision levels (6.5 is
> not backwards compatible to 6.0 or lower, etc.).

And that's the part I didn't know about (never tried it) but thought mightt
work:

> It's possible, even likely, that each major
> version understands the previous versions

Not as likely as I'd thought, apparently.  Now we know that it's possible, but
not true.  :-)  Thanks for clearing that up, Rusty.