Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] assigning only a portion of tape drives to media servers

2009-01-06 12:38:59
Subject: [Veritas-bu] assigning only a portion of tape drives to media servers
From: "Geyer, Gregory" <Gregory.Geyer AT Avnet DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 10:20:23 -0700
We have all our tape drives (20) assigned to all our media servers (3 main ones, and ~45 that server as SAN media servers, backing only themselves up).

Dealing with tape drive throughput issues and we've had a Brocade support person tell us that this setup is not ideal and that even when a tape drive has been granted to a host and it starts to use it, that its checking on the other tape drives prevents good throughput.  He says to only assign about 4 drives per media server.

This does not seem right to me, but hey, I'll check out anything.  My understanding is that 6.5 (we're at 6.5.2a, about to go to 6.5.3) has a centralized device database and that the design of a SCAN_HOST performs the gatekeeper roll for the tape drives.

I've added a new server and only configured 4 drives to run a test on it.  Of course it is queued up waiting for a free tape drive, and there's been 147 other jobs that got a tape drive while it's been queued up...(proving point #1 for why all servers had seen all drives).

If you have any opinions on Brocade's theory (or at least our SAN guy's interpretation of it - this is all 2nd hand) I'd be happy to receive it.