Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] New Library upgrade procedure Scenario 2

2008-12-23 12:25:53
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] New Library upgrade procedure Scenario 2
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: <dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 12:07:09 -0500
//We were faced with something similar here when upgrading from 4.5/5.1
and SDLT to 6.0 and LTO and more or less went with your Option #2.  What
we decided was to build an entirely new environment on new hardware to
migrate backups to leaving the old environments intact.  90% of our data
is kept for one year retention or less, leaving approximately 500 media
or so with data on them that we cared about after the first year on the
new backup system.  So we kept the old environment up (not running any
backups) until that year had expired.  At that point I ran a catalog
dump via perl script of all images on all media which I reference for
"older" restores.  The new library was Fiber, but we also purchased a
U320/SCSI card so we could attach a smaller SDLT Library we had in
storage, and we regularly run imports of older SDLT media into the new
environment and have run quite a few restores.

Is there any way to downgrade an existing Master to a Media server. Then
transfer the catalogues from that media server to the new master server
i am building?

//Not that I am aware of.  Maybe with Symantec support but if a new
server is a budget issue this isn't a likely scenario.

Once done could i then duplicate some older L1000 tapes over the network
to the SL24 connected to the new master or would i have to directly
attach the L1000 to the new server and create it as a new storage unit
calling it the same name as before?

//We did this in a few limited cases.  Basically, we imported the older
SDLT media into the 6.x catalog then bpduplicated them to LTO3 media.
Depending on your LTO drive availability this works fairly well and once
scripted becomes fairly autonomous.  Note there was no network involved,
the master had both Fiber LTO and SCSI SDLT drives attached to it.

Any other thoughts how i could get the catalogue info from an older
server onto a newer one to give me ability to duplicate?

//Run a catalog backup of the older environment.  Install 5.x on the new
environment (with the same name) and recover the catalog.  Then upgrade
to 6.x.  We specifically decided against this because of the 5.1 --> 6.x
upgrade issues.

One pro of this system is we could restore older images using the older
server while the new server took the job of doing backups from now on.

//Surprisingly I did many less restores the "one year" while we kept the
old system up than I've done since.  Stoopid lawyers.  The good news is
that since the SDLT library was idle I could script imports 24x7 and get
whatever data they needed.

-Jonathan