Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Standalone to Custered migration

2008-12-23 08:39:14
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Standalone to Custered migration
From: Jack.Forester AT mylan DOT com
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 08:21:05 -0500

Earlier this year, I replaced the master server cluster at a previous employer.  We went with the same vendor, namely Sun, but while the old servers were still in operation I built the new servers in a cluster.  According to Veritas support, even the node names of the nodes in the new cluster had to remain the same, so now that I think of it, going from non-clustered to clustered in this way probably wouldn't work.  The EMM DB _does_ contian information about the NetBackup cluster and which of the nodes is active.

There's probably some magic that can be done on the EMM DB with nbemmcmd to update it with cluster information, but Symantec is probably the only one who knows the incantation.
--
Jack Forester, Jr.
Senior Recovery Administrator

jack.forester AT mylan DOT com

Phone: +1.304.554.6039

"spaldam" <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

12/23/2008 12:08 AM
Please respond to
VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
cc
Subject

Jack.Forester wrote:
> I seem to remember reading in the HA guide that going from a non-clustered server to a clustered server is not supported. Doesn't mean it's not possible, though. Marianne's suggestion of building the server as a cluster, then doing a bprecover sounds like it might work. Just make sure you make the cluster name the same as the name of the original standalone. You definitely want to read the HA guide. What clustering software are you using?

You are correct:

>From the “Veritas NetBackup™ High Availability Administrator’s Guide” (NetBackup_Administorator_HighAvalability.pdf) document:

Page 14: “NetBackup does not support the conversion of an existing non-failover NetBackup server to a failover NetBackup server. Contact Symantec Enterprise Technical Support.”

In other words, this requires consulting services.

I guess that's what you get for not reading the first couple of chapters because you think they are just a bunch of fluff.

We've tried doing the recovery after configuring it in the cluster.  The problem at that point is that NetBackup is not aware that it's in a cluster, which causes a big problem with the device configurations.

We are using the latest version of VCS, so it's definitely supported, just apparently not with using our old EMM database.  Any ideas on how to remedy this situation, or when it will be supported?  I really don't want to have to re-inventory or loose 7 years worth of old tapes.

Maybe we can get one of our DBA's to crack open the Sybase Database and find a solution to our problem?

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it may contain legally privileged, proprietary and/or confidential information intended solely for the use of the addressee.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution, duplication or other use of this message and/or its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message and its attachments.  Thank you.