Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Tape or Image Verbose output of all files from a Client Backups.

2008-12-15 14:11:34
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Tape or Image Verbose output of all files from a Client Backups.
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 18:52:37 +0000
On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 10:19:46AM -0800, Aguirre, Wilbert wrote:
> Question: I have an unusual requirement to find for a set of tapes
> and/or images what is backed up on them. Meaning I need an output of
> every file and full path of backed up client data with the date info
> for a set of images and/or a tapes.

Is there any chance that there are expired images on the tapes?  If not,
you can gather all the data you need from the catalog.  Otherwise, you
will have to examine the tapes directly.

If you do a catalog lookup, I don't know a tool/script that will give
you exactly what you want, but all the data is there.

For each volume, get the images/fragments on it.  'bpimmedia -mediaid'
will show what's on the tape.  If you want to be conservative, you could
just display the entire contents of the image.  But since some portions
of the image may be on other media (not in your list), that's not
technically correct.

If you want to be more precise, look at the bpimmedia output (or do a
bpimagelist output) to see exactly which portions of the image are on
the tape in question.

Use 'bpflist' to show the filenames in the image, along with their
offset in the image.  If the offset in the image is within the fragment
range on the tape in question, then the file is on the tape.

If you might have expired images, and you're not doing multiplexing, you
could just throw the tapes in a drive and run tar tf <device> on it and
capture the filenames as they go past.  Continue running it for every
image or image fragment on the tape.

If you have expired images, and you're doing multiplexing, then it gets
more difficult to find.  I haven't worked with NBU multiplex tapes much
to know where to start, but I have seen some offline recovery guides
that would probably be a good start.

--
Darren