Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] How to plan out policy(schedules), [...]

2008-12-12 19:07:47
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] How to plan out policy(schedules), [...]
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 23:56:54 +0000
On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 06:31:20PM -0500, Curtis Preston wrote:
> The only goofy thing about calendar-based schedules (and it really
> annoys me) is that most people use a 6 PM to 6 AM clock (or some
> evening hour to some morning hour).  If you tell NBU to do the full on
> the 1st Friday of the month and leave all windows open, it will
> actually run the backup at just after midnight on Friday (Thursday
> night).  That?s probably not what you wanted.  So you have to delete
> the window for the night before (in this case, Thursday).  I hate it,
> but I?ve learned to live with it.

I know this happens to a lot of folks, but I've never experienced this
in 5.1 and 6.0.

I have "midnight-crossing" start windows and Full backup schedules set
for "last day of month".  They all start at the opening of the window on
the afternoon of the last day, not at midnight that day (which would be
valid, but is part of the previous day's window).

Not sure what my installation is doing that others aren't, but I'm very
happy it works this way.

--
Darren