Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Vault question

2008-12-10 14:07:30
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Vault question
From: "Brian Blake" <bblake AT datalink DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 12:44:52 -0600
Bill-

By default, NetBackup will read from the media server which originally
did the backup (i.e. "owns" the media). Bpduplicate (which is what Vault
uses to duplicate images) does the same thing, so you would want to
choose the storage unit that belongs to the media server that originally
wrote those images.

If you end up duplicating images in one profile owned by multiple media
servers, you can use the "Advanced Duplication" check-box on the
Duplication tab. Only down side to that is you have to pre-allocate how
many drives on each media server will be "used" for duplication. That
read/write drive selection basically means how many bpduplicate
processes will be started using that media server and storage unit. If
you do not specify the "alternate read host", then, by default,
bpduplicate will mount the original media on the media server that owns
it.

The problem that most folks will get into with this, is that they will
use the basic duplication screen and select a storage unit for the
destination. If they do not filter using the "Choose Backups" tab, then
they could potentially duplicate a bunch of images from one media server
to another, which causes the data stream to go over the network to the
destination media server.

B-

--
Brian Blake