Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU6.5.2a Solaris 10 Hot Catalog backup failing

2008-12-01 10:46:06
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU6.5.2a Solaris 10 Hot Catalog backup failing
From: "Mark Glazerman" <Mark.Glazerman AT spartech DOT com>
To: "Marianne Van Den Berg" <mvdberg AT stortech.co DOT za>, "Justin Piszcz" <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 09:26:23 -0600
We periodically get the 227 error and that is often accompanied by an entry in
the problem report (search for the master server having the issue) which
implies that the catalog policy has exceeded it's maximum number of configured
attempts.  This will just randomly occur and after that point it won't run a
scheduled backup but will let me submit manual catalog backups.  It notmally
only complains about 1 schedule inside the catalog policy (We have a night and
day schedule within the catalog policy).

Our fix for this requires the catalog policy to be deleted and then cycling of
all the NBU services.  Once NBU is back up create a new catalog policy and
normally things are fine again.  We found that this would normally coincide
with our master server getting beat up with regard to CPU and memory so we now
have a script which restarts the NBU services on a weekly basis to clear out
any old or lingering NBU processes which might be hanging onto resources.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

Mark Glazerman
Desk: 314-889-8282
Cell: 618-520-3401
 please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to