Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] how to duplicate the tape

2008-11-24 23:41:13
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] how to duplicate the tape
From: "Marianne Van Den Berg" <mvdberg AT stortech.co DOT za>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 06:32:00 +0200
Hi

You really should at least have a look at the Commands manual to see all the
options available. That is how we all learned.

Why not use the GUI (Catalog -> Duplicate)? The Admin Guide also explains the
Duplicate option nicely. The main thing to remember is that you should always
duplicate to a different pool. The reason for this is that if same pool is used
and the source tape is not full, the SAME tape might be selected as the
duplicate destination!

I would possibly use this from cmd:
bpduplicate -id <media_id> -dstunit <destination_storage_unit> -dp
<destination_pool>

There are more options that you can use - if the original tape is multiplexed,
use '-mpx' to maintain multiplexing (duplicate will be faster than if you
de-multiplex). If you want the new copy to become the new primary copy, use
'-set_primary 1'.

Regards

Marianne