Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Reg: LTO3

2008-11-21 17:36:11
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Reg: LTO3
From: "Clausen, Matt R [EQ]" <Matthew.R.Clausen AT Embarq DOT com>
To: "'Justin Piszcz'" <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>, "Haberl, Max" <Max.Haberl AT commerzbank DOT com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 16:25:26 -0600
Regarding the tape-drive based compression though, I think by default the drive
does not compress (actually I'm fairly positive this is the case). The driver
has to instruct the tape drive to enable hardware compression. In the case of
solaris, this is done based on which device you are physically sending the
backups to.

/dev/rmt/0 <-- The Tape Drive with no options.
/dev/rmt/0cbn <-- What you should be using. Enables HW compression and tells
the tape drive to not automatically rewind.

The key being the 'c' in the device name. If you don't have that, then under
Solaris the drive will not compress using its internal hardware compression.

Keep in mind though, if you are sending non-compressible binary files, 400GB is
what you are going to get, regardless of if the client or drive is doing the
compression. If you're sending highly compressible files (images for example)
then you will get very good compression and your tape capacity will lean closer
to the 800GB mark. If you're sending a mixture, then you will get somewhere
between the two (depending on the type of files).