Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Data Domain vs Quantum DXi

2008-11-10 14:15:13
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Data Domain vs Quantum DXi
From: "Curtis Preston" <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>
To: "Stafford, Geoff" <GStafford AT barclaycardus DOT com>, <Robin.Small AT fresno DOT gov>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 13:55:39 -0500
>- I don't think it's really accurate to refer to OST as a protocol
>although I have seen DD do it, it's an API but this is really just
>semantics.

You'll get no argument from me there.  I think it fits the LOOSE
definition of protocol, but I agree that it's better to call it an API.

>In its current mode, the data path is over the LAN which is
>what's important as it can be a significant bottleneck.  Unless
>something has changed very recently, DD will not present disk and do
OST
>over FC.

Agreed, but DD's not the only game in town with OST.

>As we objectively discuss the pluses and minuses of the various
>deduplication technologies out there, don't you think full disclosure
>would be in order and it would be customary to mention that Glasshouse
>is a partner of Data Domain?

Sure.  GlassHouse is a partner of Data Domain.  As a professional
services company, we're also a partner with EMC, Quantum, Dell,
IBM/Diligent, SEPATON, Symantec, COPAN, HDS, and just about every other
dedupe vendor out there.  (It's important to state, however, that we
don't SELL any of them.  We simply partner with them on helping their
customers use them better.)  None of that has any bearing on what I say
or don't say about them.

It's funny.  Whenever I'm really for something, or really against
something, people automatically assume there's got to be some money
behind it.  The truth is you won't find another member of the storage
industry that's a bigger fighter for the truth -- whatever that is.
This actually gets me in a lot of trouble sometimes with those same
vendors.  I don't care who "wins," or how good or bad I make something
look.  I just want you and everyone else to be dealing in truth.

And the truth is that I actually didn't like OST when I first heard
about it, but I'm a convert.  Consider my recent blog post about the
subject:

http://www.backupcentral.com/content/view/198/47/

Hopefully my answer will assuage any concerns that you or any other
readers might have that my posts are in some way tainted.