Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Throughput of data domain with Netbackup

2008-11-10 11:09:35
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Throughput of data domain with Netbackup
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: ratheesh.das AT mindspeed DOT com
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 09:55:31 -0600
On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 8:30 AM, <ratheesh.das AT mindspeed DOT com> wrote:

Amazing. I think there is some problem with my setup. Can the speed of slot to which NIC card is attached in media server also affect the throughput. My NIC is attached to 33Mhz slot. I think moving it to 66 Mhz can help.

In a 32-bit 33Mhz slot, the MAXIMUM possible data flow through the slot is 132MB/sec.  If that slot is shared with other devices, your throughput will be even slower.  And that's assuming that you get 100% of the bus just for transfers which you won't get.  Add to that the TCP/IP overhead, and there's no way you're going to get great throughput on a GigE card in that slot.

And you better not have your HBAs on the same bus as your NICs...  A single HBA can easily saturate that bus.

    .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org