Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Data Domain vs Quantum DXi

2008-11-07 23:02:19
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Data Domain vs Quantum DXi
From: "Stafford, Geoff" <GStafford AT barclaycardus DOT com>
To: "Curtis Preston" <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>, Robin.Small AT fresno DOT gov
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 22:51:29 -0500

>>Agreed, but wait til they release 10 Gb.  Also, OST doesn't limit you
LAN speeds -- DD's implementation of it does.  Ask Quantum about theirs.
(I don't know what it does as it's not shipping yet.)

-- True, most, if not all, of the players are working on 10Gb.  Would be
nice if the EMC/Quantum "partnership" would result in being able to
fiber attach the disk and bypass the LAN altogether.  NAS/CIFS sucks for
any backup you actually care about throughput on IMHO.

>>NO THEY DON'T.  The REAL story is that Quantum (who at the time didn't
HAVE a shipping dedupe product) waited until DD was about to go public
and hit them with a "your stuff looks like it violates our patent"
lawsuit.  DD thought the suit was BS, but they needed it to go away as
they were going public.  They settled out of court for some change in
the millions to make it go away.  There isn't a single line of shared
code between the two, neither is borrowing from the other, etc.

Anybody from Quantum who is telling you that DD is licensing their code
is speaking complete falsehood.  They're probably not lieing, as that
would imply that they know the truth.  It's a urban legend that too many
believe.

--It's a variable length block size deduplication algorithm, the math is
above my pay grade but there's probably only so many ways you can do it
efficiently and apparently Riverbed thought it was bs and wanted it to
go away too.  :)  No one from any company has ever told me there was
shared code, I was simply working on the KISS principle in my previous
email and not trying to spend 10 paragraphs explaining it hence the
"short version of the story" comment.  :)

>>Remember that just because you have the capacity doesn't mean you can
use it.  DD stops their boxes at certain capacities because most
customers run out of bandwidth before they run out of space.

--Depends on how you want to use it and how long you plan on retaining
data on disk.  YMMV

>> Agreed, but that functionality is supposed to ship RSN.  And Quantum,
AFAICT, hasn't shipped it either.  It's in the code but hasn't shipped.

--At what cost for the functionality on the Data Domain side?  I never
got a straight answer how it was going to work.  Again, don't have the
numbers in front of me but I believe even a single 7500 will ingest
faster than a single 690...definitely the 580.

>>Yes they do.  Everybody but NetApp has RAID6.  And dedupe on RAID5 is
just insanity, IMHO.

--  Quantum may have added it to the 9TB 7500 but last I checked they
were not shipping RAID 6.

intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named

Barclays             www.barclaycardus.com

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential and/or
proprietary information. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity who is the intended recipient. Unauthorized use of this information is
prohibited. If you have received this in error, please contact the sender by
replying to this message and delete this material from any system it may be on.