Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Data Domain vs Quantum DXi

2008-11-07 19:38:14
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Data Domain vs Quantum DXi
From: "Curtis Preston" <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>
To: "Stafford, Geoff" <GStafford AT barclaycardus DOT com>, <Robin.Small AT fresno DOT gov>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 19:27:38 -0500
>- Data Domain seemed to be pushing the NAS/CIFS side a lot more than
>their VTL.  OpenStorage is great and all but you limit yourself to LAN
>speeds.

Agreed, but wait til they release 10 Gb.  Also, OST doesn't limit you to
LAN speeds -- DD's implementation of it does.  Ask Quantum about theirs.
(I don't know what it does as it's not shipping yet.)

>- Quantum owns the Rocksoft dedupe patent and Data Domain (short
version
>of the story) licenses it from them.

NO THEY DON'T.  The REAL story is that Quantum (who at the time didn't
HAVE a shipping dedupe product) waited until DD was about to go public
and hit them with a "your stuff looks like it violates our patent"
lawsuit.  DD thought the suit was BS, but they needed it to go away as
they were going public.  They settled out of court for some change in
the millions to make it go away.  There isn't a single line of shared
code between the two, neither is borrowing from the other, etc.

Anybody from Quantum who is telling you that DD is licensing their code
is speaking complete falsehood.  They're probably not lieing, as that
would imply that they know the truth.  It's a urban legend that too many
believe.

>If anyone is going to optimize the
>algorithm in future versions I seriously doubt it's going to be DD.

I believe the above information renders this point moot.

>- The 7500 scales better than the DD690 IMHO.  The 690 goes to, I
>believe, ~25TB and the 7500 to 180TB.

Remember that just because you have the capacity doesn't mean you can
use it.  DD stops their boxes at certain capacities because most
customers run out of bandwidth before they run out of space.

>DD wanted to sell us multiple 690
>heads to meet the throughput of the 7500.  The downside of that is when
>you have multiple heads you don't get a common block pool.

Agreed, but that functionality is supposed to ship RSN.  And Quantum,
AFAICT, hasn't shipped it either.  It's in the code but hasn't shipped.

>- RAID 6 - DD does it, Quantum/EMC currently doesn't.

Yes they do.  Everybody but NetApp has RAID6.  And dedupe on RAID5 is
just insanity, IMHO.