Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Which license should we buy ?

2008-11-05 13:47:40
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Which license should we buy ?
From: "Clausen, Matt R [EQ]" <Matthew.R.Clausen AT Embarq DOT com>
To: "'Anil.Maurya AT sanofi-aventis DOT com'" <Anil.Maurya AT sanofi-aventis DOT com>, "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 12:29:41 -0600
Generally you should run this by your Symantec sales rep. since they are always
the foremost authority in what you need in terms of licensing.....

This is what I think you will need, but again, check with your sales rep.

You need 3 NetBackup Enterprise Licenses... which ones depend on your
hardware... UNIX vs. Linux vs. Solaris(x64) vs. .....

You'll most likely need the Exchange Agent if you want to do online backups of
your Exchange store.

RMAN backups you don't need anything special if all you're doing is dumping an
ORACLE RMAN based backup and then backing up the files it outputs. If you need
to connect to the database as a client and back it up that way, the Oracle
Agent may be required (which since you list SQL backups - you may need anyways
but that depends on the database type -- Sybase, Informix, etc.)

SAN clients - A few ways to handle this, if your media server is attached to
the SAN, then you just have it do the backups of the SAN data. If you need to
back up a client attached to the SAN then you do a normal client-based backup.

NDMP (even a few) will most likely require the NDMP Add-on.

You also don't have other licenses listed that you will need:

Tape Drive Licenses for the number of drives per robot (i.e. if it's a robot
with 4 drives you need 4 tape library drive licenses). Standalone tape drives
do not require this license.

Client Licenses (each client needs a license)