Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Dual ported fiber channel LTO4 drives and NetBackup 6.5

2008-10-28 17:35:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Dual ported fiber channel LTO4 drives and NetBackup 6.5
From: "JAJA (Jamie Jamison)" <jamisonj AT zgi DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:00:26 -0700
I have a SpectraLogic T950 tape library with six LTO4 tape drives.
SpectraLogic replaced all of the drives earlier this year because of
problems with the IBM hardware and the new drives that I received have
dual fiber channel ports. Right now I have two drives that are dedicated
to NDMP backups and which are directly connected to a NetApp filer and
four drives that are connected to my master server via fiber channel and
a switch. I have a separate FC card for the library robotic control that
is directly connected to the library from the master server.

We're bringing in a new NetApp filer and implementing a VTL on our
DataDomain restorers. Rather than connecting the current NDMP drives to
the new filer, with one drive per head, I'd like to implement SSO so
that I have a pool of six drives that can be used for any kind of backup
or for duplication. But looking at those dual FC ports on the drives
makes me wonder if there is anything I can do with them. I'm wondering
if I can be lazy and instead of implementing SSO just connect all six
drives to the FC fabric and on two of the drives use the second fiber
channel port for a direct connection to the NetApp filer. Is there
anything useful that I can do with these ports?

Thanks,

Jamie Jamison