Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Fail to update in bpmedialist after assign by vmquery-assig

2008-10-24 08:12:30
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Fail to update in bpmedialist after assign by vmquery-assig
From: "Marianne Van Den Berg" <mvdberg AT stortech.co DOT za>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 13:55:43 +0200
Please send output of the following for one of the tapes:

vmquery -m <media_id>

Do not assign the media after deassign - that is the function of
NetBackup next time the tape is used for backup.

Please remember that the Media database and Volume database are two
DIFFERENT databases:

Media database (/usr/openv/netbackup/db/media/mediaDB) contains records
of tapes used for backups. IF you have multiple media servers, each
media server will have one (until version 5.1).
Volume database (/usr/openv/volmgr/database/volDB) contains hardware
information of all your tapes (in or out the robot).

Compare output of the following to see the difference in information
kept in the 2 databases:

mediaDB:
bpmedialist

volDB:
vmquery -a -bx

Also read this TechNote - it describes the relationship between these
databases:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/247898.htm

Regards

M.