Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] "/" + Cross All Mnt Pts Vs. ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES

2008-10-22 09:33:52
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] "/" + Cross All Mnt Pts Vs. ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES
From: "Clausen, Matt R [EQ]" <Matthew.R.Clausen AT Embarq DOT com>
To: "'Dean'" <dean.deano AT gmail DOT com>, Nathan Kippen <nate.kippen AT gmail DOT com>, "Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 08:17:45 -0500
I have to disagree with the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES being a good thing in some
circumstances. I recently went from using ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES to specifying each
of my disk slices (/, /usr, /var, /opt, etc.) and breaking them out with
NEW_STREAM on my UNIX servers for a very simple reason. Using ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES
and multiple streams will thrash the disks on that type of machine.

Think of it like this.... You have several disk slices or partitions, but they
all share a single "disk". When you do ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES + Multiple Streams then
you are in fact initiating a stream per partition/slice. This can be upwards of
4-5 streams hitting a single disk which means the head is jumping around all
over the place to provide the data flow and wearing your disk out.

I've been to a few of the NetBackup classes, and in every one I've been told to
never let the number of streams exceed the number of spindles in the physical
hardware you're backing up. With specifying my directories individually I can
regulate the streams so that I am not overtaxing my disk hardware. If I have
say / + /usr + /var on one disk mirror, then I can specify those directories
then the NEW_STREAM and then my /opt directory which is a ZFS pool on another
set of disks. This way I am not running the risk of thrashing the disks and
reducing their service life prematurely.

Your mileage my vary of course; there are arguments for both sets of thinking.
I just found what the instructors were saying to be a very compelling argument
to avoid ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES for my UNIX servers and keep using it mainly for my
Windows servers where each drive is generally a physical drive.