Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] "/" + Cross All Mnt Pts Vs. ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES

2008-10-21 18:29:26
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] "/" + Cross All Mnt Pts Vs. ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES
From: "Curtis Preston" <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>
To: "Nathan Kippen" <nate.kippen AT gmail DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 18:16:20 -0400

I much prefer the method you’re considering using vs what you’ve been doing.

  1. Each filesystem gets its own job.  One fails, they don’t all fail, and you know just what to re-run.  Reporting is very nice as well.
  2. Multistreamed backups = multistreamed restores, even if you only allow one backup to run at a time.  (ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES + Allow multiple data streams + max jobs per policy or client set to 1) and multistreamed restores are good.
  3. No need to use the NEW_STREAM feature except under extreme circumstances, like one filesystem that’s HUGE and can’t be backed up with one stream.

Curtis Preston | VP Data Protection
GlassHouse Technologies, Inc.

T: +1 760 710 2004 | C: +1 760 419 5838 | F: +1 760 710 2009
cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com | www.glasshouse.com