Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] "/" + Cross All Mnt Pts Vs. ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES

2008-10-21 17:52:21
Subject: [Veritas-bu] "/" + Cross All Mnt Pts Vs. ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES
From: "Nathan Kippen" <nate.kippen AT gmail DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 15:24:43 -0600
I'm just looking to see what the recommendation out there is for backing up unix-based servers.

In the past I've always backed up a unix client using "/" in my selection list and using cross all mount points + exclude lists.  As I was browsing through the Admin guide I read that ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES could be used on unix-based clients as well.

I'm interested to know how people out there backup their unix clients.   We use cross all mount points so to make sure that an Admin doesn't create something on a client that needs to be backed up that he doesn't tell us [backup admins] about.

I'm looking into using the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive with "allow multiple streams" so I can stream out my unix clients by filesystem thus getting more i/o throughput by having the backups read from multiple physical disks at the same time.  ... This opposed to using "/" + NEW_STREAM .. since I don't really know what directories are actual filesystems.  (I don't admin the majority of the clients I backup.)

Thanks,