Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Curse you NetBackup.

2008-10-17 07:09:32
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Curse you NetBackup.
From: Dean <dean.deano AT gmail DOT com>
To: "List Veritas List" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 21:55:20 +1100
I am sitting here at home on a Friday night watching the backups run
(yeah, I have no life), trying to get an idea about how the
performance is going, and trying to help a DBA narrow down a
performance problem. I have 3 backups running at the moment (things
haven't really kicked off yet). Everything was going fine - I was
seeing 60 MB/sec from the main client I am interested in, and about 20
MB/sec from the other two, which is all good.

Then suddenly everything freezes. It has been about half an hour and
nothing has happened.

The only error message I see is this one....

1224235829 1 2 16 melrhnbu02 0 0 0 *NULL* bptm Error occurred during
initialization.  Could not read logging configuration file.

(that is from a media server which is not involved in the particular
backup I am intersted in, so is probably completely irrelevant)

I also get lots of this :
bpcd/log.101708:07:43:53.526 [4941] <16> bpcd main: char_count = 7375,
.line_count = 55
bpcd/log.101708:07:43:57.112 [4954] <16> bpcd main: strlen(pProcList) = 7205

GRRRR

It;s extremely frustrating having watched a 100GB filesystem backup
tick up to about 90GB completed at 60 MB/sec, then everything freezes,
when I have a DBA waiting for me to tell him that everything looks OK
from the I/O side of things on his server. But I can't give him a
definitive answer, because EVERYTHING has locked up for me, from all 3
clients that are trying to backup at the moment.

Oh NetBackup, why must thou smite me?

Well, I was just about to send this email, and things have suddenly
started moving again. That's life with NBU, I guess. I should be used
to these mysterious lock-ups by now. But it's extremely frustrating,
especially when you're trying to do an I/O performance test.

So, I guess I'll have to report to the DBA, the first 4 x 20GB
fragments ran at 60 MB/sec, but the last 20GB fragment ran at less
than 1 MB/sec. What is he going to make of that?

NBU 6.5.2 on RHEL 4. Generally it's pretty stable for me, but random
lock ups like this continue to occur, as they have since I started
with NBU in the 3.4 days.

Gehhh, just getting out my frustrations. Thanks for listening.