Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup performance numbers for gigabit with & without jumbo frames ?

2008-10-08 09:10:56
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup performance numbers for gigabit with & without jumbo frames ?
From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
To: Michael Graff Andersen <mian71 AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 08:53:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008, Michael Graff Andersen wrote:

> It this with jumbo frames enabled ?
>

> 2008/10/8 Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
>

>> On Wed, 8 Oct 2008, Michael Graff Andersen wrote:
>>
>> Hello All
>>>
>>> Do anybody have Netbackup backup numbers for gigabit with & without jumbo
>>> frames implemented ?
>>>

>> Sure, I maxed it out at ~127-137MiB/s for LTO-3 using 100% compressible
>> data, e.g., AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.
>>
>> Average though for compressed data is 90MiB/s for LTO-3.
>>
>> Using gigabit hosts, why, what are you seeing?
>>
>> Justin.

Without jumbo frames only-- with gigabit, I believe you will see less CPU
utilization using jumbo frames, but there are other problems to it-- for
hosts that do not utilize jumbo frames vs. ones that do you may get bad
performance, for gigabit, in my opinion, its best to leave it off unless
you can ensure everything is jumbo-frame enabled.

For 10gbps, jumbo frames (and bigger frames in general) play a much more
significant role.

Justin.