Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU cross-site

2008-10-02 17:35:45
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU cross-site
From: Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 16:22:06 -0500

I agree. Though it would be more expensive (for licenses), I also recommend a Master at each site. If you do the remote method, you will eventually lose the link to the Master and you won't be having much fun.

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

spaldam <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

10/02/2008 04:16 PM
Please respond to
VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
cc
Subject
[Veritas-bu]  NBU cross-site

First, you cannot run NetBackup servers in a Zone.  The UNIX admin here already tried that and the install script even said it wasn't supported.

Second, I wouldn't run master/media servers across a WAN; especially since NOM has the ability to manage multiple Master servers from a centralized console.  If you lose the WAN, you done and all you backups fail.

Third, with new de-duplication and replication products that are available today, they offer a great solution for doing your own self insurance with each site having a replicated copy of the other.  I'm going to be using Quantum’s DXi units here soon to do just that.