Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Legato vs. NetBackup

2008-10-01 17:05:52
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Legato vs. NetBackup
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Steve Quan" <sq01 AT yorku DOT ca>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 15:40:30 -0500
On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Steve Quan <sq01 AT yorku DOT ca> wrote:
I'm surprised about the "locked in" comment. Can you explain ?

It's actually hard and expensive to migrate from one platform to another.  For example, if I wanted to switch to CommVault, I couldn't, because they don't support all of the platforms we currently have.  We've also got tapes out there with a 10-year retention - rewriting and re-cataloging those in a new format would be a massive undertaking.  I wouldn't want to install 2  backup agents on each client so that they could restore from an old environment while writing to a new one.  And running them in parallel doubles your costs for robots, drives, media, and backup servers.  Not to mention the re-training of your staff, including new staff you may hire in the future that now needs to know 2 backup systems, not just 1.

Other backup vendors are starting to get more attention ...

And they probably deserve some attention.  However, as a new installation, not a migration, unless you want to run multiple backup systems at the same time.

/Steve
---