Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU catalog backups hot vs cold

2008-09-25 14:04:21
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU catalog backups hot vs cold
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 17:39:13 +0000
On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 05:07:15PM +0100, Dave Markham wrote:

> I'm just confused as to why running a hot catalogue backup, potentially
> when other backups are running, is a good thing?

Because you can.

If your catalog backup takes 6 hours, and you don't have 6 hours of
downtime from backups, it's going to be hard to accomplish.

> I have the catalogues cold backed up when scheduled backups have
> finished. This runs automatically.

Not everyone has a time when scheduled backups finish.

> I just assume this is the best way as you get an up to date latest
> catalogue backup after the nights backups have finished.

You can run the hot backup at the same time.

> Can someone enlighten me or point me to a white paper as to why the hot
> method is better?

You can run cold backup when other backups aren't running.

You can run hot backup when other backups aren't running, or if they
are.

--
Darren