Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Exchange 2007 with CCR - Passive Node Backup

2008-09-23 16:21:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Exchange 2007 with CCR - Passive Node Backup
From: "Scheef Jr, Ed E." <CXScheef AT tecoenergy DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 15:35:32 -0400

Folks,

 We're running Netbackup 6.5.2.

 We're just now setting up a Netbackup Policy for Exchange 2007 running in a CCR cluster.

 The backup has been defined to "backup the passive node first, but if not available, backup

 the active node".

  The question I have is client definition in the Snapshot policy (within Exchange Policy) required

  to backup the Exchange database:

    When we put both physical CCR cluster node names in the policy's client list, it starts backups

    for both nodes, and looks like it does "snapshots" for both nodes, when only the "passive node"

    should be snapshotting, and getting backed up. Why is that happening ??  Anybody have a

    "passive node" Exchange backup set up and working ???

  An obvious solution would be to take the "active" node server out of the policy's client list, but

  then if a failover occurred , and the "passive" node switched to what is now the "active" node,

  would the "passive" node backup still work without that physical server in the policy's client list ??

The Netbackup documentation update for 6.5.2 is not too clear on this !!

Thanks Much,

Ed Scheef

Tampa Electric Company