Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Policy definition

2008-09-18 20:25:45
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Policy definition
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 19:17:57 -0500
On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 5:12 PM, <Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com> wrote:
What do you mean by "archived".

If by "archive" you mean "backup with a very long retention", you'll
have to build a separate policy for the folder you want to treat
differently.

If by "archive" you mean "backup with a very long retention", then you need to educate your users that a backup is *not* an archive with a very long retention.  You also likely need a different product.

We have this discussion with our users on a regular basis and they usually go away for a while and then somebody else will come back and ask the same thing.  Today we had an *urgent* request for a tape archive.  For the life of me, I can't see how a tape archive is urgent nor can I understand why an end user would care what type of media it's on.  We'll go on a training rant again.

   .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org