Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] SSO between HP-UX and Windows

2008-09-16 07:21:11
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] SSO between HP-UX and Windows
From: Bluejay AT fujigreenwood DOT com
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 07:04:29 -0400
> Our environment, HP-UX 11-31 with a SureStore 20/700 tape library,
> one master / media server running NetBackup 6.5.2 backing up mainly
> HP servers with a few Sun and Windows boxes thrown in.  We would
> like to configure one Windows SAN media server, use SSO to share two
> tape drives with our HP Master on the 20/700.  We are not currently
> using SSO and my only exposure so far is the manual.  Anyone like to
> share suggestions or what to look out for in setting this up?

I'm doing SSO between Tru64 UNIX (not HP-UX) and Windows. It does work.

Things have improved over the years, but areas that have been problems
with Windows include Windows' tendency to rename tape drives on the fly,
causing NetBackup to access the wrong drives (largely fixed by serial
number checking and SCSI reservations) and the tendency of Windows' to
forget about the tape drives whenevery something happens on the SAN, like
rebooting a storage router.

The "Removable storage" service has also been a problem, in that it likes
to put its fingers all over any tape drive it sees come ready. We disable
this as a matter of policy on all our Windows media servers.

                                                                      -
Bluejay Adametz

The first telephone conversation was only 18 feet. It was a close call.