Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Switching Catalog from AIX to Windows

2008-09-15 13:28:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Switching Catalog from AIX to Windows
From: "Mike Day" <mike.day AT inovis DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 09:58:21 -0700

I’m doing some project planning on a potential move from AIX for my master media server to Windows.  The current version I’m running is 5.1 MP7 on the AIX box. I migrated from Windows about 5 years ago on a 3.x or 4.x sever.  I called Symantec and asked if this could be done and they said no - the catalogs are not compatible.  I wanted a second opinion so I Googled this and others have attempted migration … but Symantec will not support it unless I pay them for a consultant? http://support.veritas.com/docs/267137

How fair is that?  Over 10 years of us using Netbackup to backup 200 clients, oodles of database licenses … so we’ve invested at least half a million dollars in licensing fees over the years and now we need to pay Symantec to migrate the catalog for us and if we do it ourselves it will no longer be supported?

Does anyone have any insight on how I should proceed here?

Michael H. Day
Systems Engineer