Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] no storage units available for use (213)

2008-09-07 20:47:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] no storage units available for use (213)
From: "Mike Day" <mike.day AT inovis DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 17:34:36 -0700

I recently upgraded to 5.1 MP7 from MP4 about a month ago.  My plan was to upgrade to the next version required to upgrade finally to 6.x.  The Netbackup master/media server is running AIX 5.2.

The first full backup and every full backup since causes many jobs to fail with ‘error code 213 no storage units available for use’.  Most of the jobs restart and finish successfully.  I only have two storage units, one local disk for some DB transaction logs and the four LTO-3 drive SL8500 Sun/StorageTek library connected to a SUN ACS.  I opened a case with Symantec and so far all they’ve had me do is create a new storage unit.  The first time I tried it I had some jobs using the old storage unit and some using the new one.  That of course caused many jobs to fail (or to get restarted until they ran successfully) with too many drives assigned to the to storage units.  This Friday I finally switched al the jobs to the new storage unit and the same problem recurred on Saturday morning.

It’s interesting these errors only occur when the backups are most stressed … full backups.  And oddly enough it only occurs half way through them.  The mass of the full backups start about 6 PM Friday evening and these errors occur right around midnight and through out the early hours.   I backup about 150 clients and 10 TB total data during the full backups.

Since new jobs start and finish successfully I have not put a lot of effort into fixing this quickly but I’d like to find a solution so I don’t see all these errors.

Is the solution is now to upgrade to 6.x or should I attempt to fix this first?  I don’t want to bring problems into a new version.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike Day